Let us take you on a tour of our Peace River Minecraft model and show you some interesting geological features!
Click here to download the self-guided tour model.
You will need:
1) A licensed copy of Minecraft.
Don’t have Minecraft? You can download a copy here.
2) At least 3 GB of free disk space (to be able to download all 3 models)
3) 4 GB of RAM
1) Download the ZIP file containing the Minecraft model files to the Downloads folder on your computer.
2) Right click on the ZIP file in the Downloads folder and click "Extract All". Extract the model folder to the Desktop (or another preferred location) using the Browse button.
3) Startup Minecraft using the desktop icon.
4) Click "Play" at the bottom of the window.
5) Once the Minecraft home screen has loaded, select "Options", then "Resource Packs".
6) Select "Open resource pack folder". A new window will appear. You will use this window to move the geological model world files into Minecraft.
7) Navigate to the folder where you extracted the Minecraft files, select the Minecraft model folder and, using your right mouse button, select Cut.
8) Click the back arrow and use the address bar to navigate to the ".minecraft" folder.
9) Open the "saves" folder.
10) Use the right mouse button to Paste the Minecraft model folder into the "saves" folder.
11) You can then close the window, select Done in the Select Resource Packs window, and Done in the Options window.
12) Start your Minecraft game and select the geological model world to play.
To enhance visualization of the model, here are some adjustments that can be made to the video settings:
- From the main menu click "Options" then "Video Settings".
- Change brightness slider to "Bright".
- Turn clouds setting to "Off".
- Increase render distance to the maximum distance that your computer will support. We suggest starting with a value slightly less than the maximum.
To move around in the Minecraft models, you will need to use the following keys on your computer keyboard;
W - Move forward
A - Move left
S - Move backwards
D - Move right
Spacebar - Jump
If you press the spacebar twice quickly, you will be able to fly. To stop flying, simply press the spacebar quickly two times.
To descend while flying, press the left-shift key.
What Will I See on the Peace River Self-guided Tour?
Jump onboard the minecart that will take you on an interactive tour of our Peace River Minecraft model. The tour will take you to a number of stops both on top and inside the model highlighting some of the interesting geological features in the area. At any point in the tour you can get out of the cart and explore, and when you are ready to move on to the next stop, just jump back in the cart and press the ‘w’ key on your keyboard.
Hold on tight and get ready to explore just a few of the interesting geological features hiding beneath the ground in the Peace River area.
Legend of Rock Units
The Minecraft blocks in this model represents approximately 1250 m × 1250 m in the horizontal (X and Y) directions. The vertical exaggeration of this model has been set to 50 times, which means that each block represents approximately 25 m in the vertical (Z) direction.
These Minecraft worlds were built by the Alberta Geological Survey for educational and outreach purposes. This is not an official Minecraft product and is not associated with Mojang