This is a 3D geological model of coal zones within the Upper Cretaceous-Paleogene succession in central and southern Alberta. This model package consists of data in several file formats:
- a deconstructed model dataset composed of Esri format grids and shapefiles; [Download, 132 MB]
- a text file of stratigraphic picks used to create the model, [Download, 32 MB],
- an iMOD model dataset; [Download, 105 MB], and
- a Petrel project; [Download, 73 MB], or,
- the complete set of project files, [Download, 248 MB].
This is a provincial scale dataset and is not intended for local scale studies.
The data are in 10 degree Transverse Mercator, NAD83 projection. Methods used to create the model and more information about these data are included in the accompanying methodology report: 3D Geological Model of Coal Zones in Alberta - Methodology.
This model updates our understanding of coal zones in central and southern Alberta. The following coal zones are modelled and labelled with the corresponding names:
1. Ardley coal zone
2. Carbon-Thompson coal zone
3. Daly / Weaver / Garden Plain coal zone
4. Wayne / Rockyford Standard coal zone
5. Basal Drumheller coal zone
6. Lethbridge coal zone
7. Taber coal zone
8. Mackay coal zone
The model was created in Petrel and then exported in non-proprietary formats for use in other software.
Atkinson, L.A. and Pana, C. (2019): 3D geological model of coal zones in central and southern Alberta (methodology, model, dataset, multiple files); Alberta Energy Regulator / Alberta Geological Survey, AER/AGS Model 2017-04.