Earth Sciences Report 1959-02

Earth Sciences Report 1959-02

ESR 1959-02

Groundwater Geology, Beaverlodge District, Alberta

Author(s) Jones, J.F. Date 1960-01-01

Approximately 85 percent of the water supply in the Beaverlodge district is obtained from wells in sandstones of the Wapiti formation. The remaining 15 percent is obtained from wells in Cenozoic sands and gravels. A buried channel which contains water-bearing sands and gravels was outlined from geologic and seismic surveys and by test drilling. An average transmissibility of 4,200 gallons per day was determined by pumping tests. Wells of capacities up to 60 gallons per minute might be obtained from the buried gravels with additional exploration. The recharge, movement and discharge of groundwater appear to be controlled by local topography. The water in the bedrock is generally softer than that found in the overlying surficial deposits.

Jones, J.F. (1960): Groundwater geology, Beaverlodge district, Alberta; Research Council of Alberta, RCA/AGS Earth Sciences Report 1959-02, 53 p.