During and following the first World War in the years 1914 to 1918, extensive prospecting proved the presence of large deposits of high rank coal within the Rocky Mountains in southwestern Alberta, in the vicinity of the Highwood and Sheep rivers. The increased fuel demand during the years 1939 to 1945 in the second World War cause a revival of interest in these deposits. Since little geological information was available for this area, the Research Council of Alberta assigned a geological field party to study the coal deposits and associated strata. This fieldwork, carried on during the summers of 1945 and 1946, forms the basis for this report.
Allan, J.A., Carr, J.L. and Warren, P.S. (1947): Geology of Highwood-Elbow area, Alberta; Research Council of Alberta, RCA/AGS Report 49, 104 p.