Hydraulic Head and Salinity Mapping
The focus of our provincial hydrogeological mapping is on systematically mapping the hydraulic head and salinity in key hydrostratigraphic units (HSU) across Alberta. We choose which HSU units to map based on future work needs related to either the base of groundwater protection (BGWP), or the deeper saline formations which could be used for water supply, disposal zones, mineral sources, or geothermal targets. We publish 2D provincial-scale PDF maps, digital data (grids and tabular data), and an interactive web application of the regional hydrogeology.
Our provincial-scale hydrogeological maps provide a general understanding of the groundwater flow and chemistry in key hydrostratigraphic units (HSU) in Alberta. These maps are created using publicly available data collected over many years, providing a good indication of regional water chemistry and groundwater flow within the HSUs rather than site specific values. These maps also offer information on the geometry, thickness, stratigraphy, well location, prediction uncertainty, and areas where groundwater flow may be affected by the groundwater density.
Provincial-scale hydrogeological maps are coming soon for these hydrostratigraphic units:
- Hydrogeological Maps of Dunvegan HSU
- Hydrogeological Maps of Clearwater HSU
- Hydrogeological Maps of Cooking Lake HSU
- Hydrogeological Maps of Swan Hills / Slave Point HSU
- Hydrogeological Maps of Winterburn HSU
- Hydrogeological Maps of Leduc HSU
- Hydrogeological Maps of Keg River/Winipegosis HSU
- Hydrogeological Maps of Banff HSU
- Hydrogeological Maps of Paskapoo HSU
- Hydrogeological Maps of Scollard HSU
- Hydrogeological Maps of Horseshoe Canyon HSU