The Alberta Geological Survey (AGS) outsourced a till and stream sediment sampling program in southwestern, northwestern, and north-central Alberta to provide a better understanding of the province’s critical mineral potential. This project delivers information useful in the exploration of critical mineral potential in Alberta through geochemical and grain-size analyses, and indicator-mineral identification in areas where data gaps exist. All planning, logistics, fieldwork execution, sample collection, submission of samples for geochemical and textural analysis, data compilation, and reporting was completed by Palmer, with oversight and approval by the Alberta Energy Regulator and the AGS.

Three areas of interest were identified for till and stream sediment sampling. Till sampling included collecting 358 samples for geochemical and textural analyses and 150 samples for mineralogical analysis. Sampling of stream sediment included 398 samples for geochemical analysis and 360 samples for mineralogical analysis. This publication includes all sampling site descriptions, and geochemical and grain-size analyses results. Approximately 60% of the mineralogical samples collected have been analyzed for indicator minerals and these results are reported in this publication. The results of the analysis of the remaining mineralogical samples (approximately 40%) will be reported in subsequent publications. Analysis and interpretation of reported results will continue in future years to outline prospective areas for critical minerals within Alberta.

This work was completed under the Mineral Grant provided by the Government of Alberta dated June 22, 2021.

Place Keywords

Sacco, D., Howitt, L., Knox, C., DesRosiers, P., Whitney, J., Janzen, B., McCuaig, S., McKillop, R. and Meek, D.M. (2023): Regional till and stream sediment sampling to support the evaluation of critical mineral potential in Alberta; Alberta Energy Regulator / Alberta Geological Survey, AER/AGS Special Report 115.